The one and only Ivan / Katherine Applegate ; illustrations by Patricia CastelaoNot available 17 holds on first copy returned of 1 copy
PAS Santa Catalina Branch Juvenile, Fiction
- Harper Classic edition.
- 303, 17 pages : illustrations ; 20 cm
- text txt rdacontent
- still image sti rdacontent
- unmediated n rdamedia
- volume nc rdacarrier
- Special edition includes : Author's note, a letter from Ivan's caretaker at Zoo Atlanta, Ivan's "signature" and discussion questions.
- Ages 8-12.
- Ivan is an easy going gorilla. Living at the Exit 8 Big Top Mall and Video Arcade, he has grown accustomed to humans watching him through the glass walls of his domain. He rarely misses his life in the jungle. In fact, he hardly every thinks about it at all. Instead, Ivan thinks about TV shows he's seen and about his friends Stella, an elderly elephant, and Bob a stray dog. But mostly Ivan thinks about art and how to capture the taste of a mango or the sound of leaves with color and a well-placed line. Then he meets Ruby, a baby elephant taken from her family, and she makes Ivan see their home - and his own art - through new eyes. When Ruby arrives, change comes with her, and it's up to Ivan to make it a change for the better.
- Newbery Medal, 2013.
- Gorilla -- Juvenile fiction.
- Elephants -- Juvenile fiction.
- Friendship -- Juvenile fiction.
- Animal welfare -- Juvenile fiction.
- Circus -- Juvenile fiction.
- Circus animals -- Juvenile fiction.
- Gorilla -- Fiction.
- Elephants -- Fiction.
- Animals -- Treatment -- Fiction.
- Biographical fiction.
- Newbery Medal: Winner -- 2013.
- Added Author
- Castelao, Patricia, illustrator.
- Carrigan, Jodie, contributor.
- 9780062641946 (hardcover)
- 0062641948 (hardcover)